Lend A Hand pursues the simple and effective mission of helping people in need with basic life necessities in a timely and dignified manner. Lend A Hand makes grants in Greater Boston in three areas.
Emergency Financial Assistance
Needy families and individuals receive small grants through nonprofit agencies. Our goal is to help meet client needs before they spiral downwards.
LAH works in partnership with advocates and case managers at greater Boston area nonprofit community organizations, hospitals, legal aid groups, religious organizations and government human service agencies.
LAH responds to requests from case managers who write on behalf of clients for financial assistance for rent, utilities, medical supplies and equipment, eyeglasses and other necessities. LAH grants support:
- Rental assistance to prevent homelessness
- Security deposit to help secure and move into an apartment often from a homeless shelter
- Gas, oil, and electric bill assistance to prevent utility shut off
- Payment of overdue utility bills to have service restored
- Prostheses for patients leaving hospitals after surgery
- Wheel chair repair for elderly or disabled individuals
- Walkers for elderly or disabled people
- Shower chairs and other medical equipment to allow people to stay in their own homes
- Eye glasses for elderly or others in need
Education and Job Training
- ID cards for people in job training programs seeking jobs
Grants to nonprofit camping agencies provide scholarships for children and teenagers. Most camperships are for inner city youth who benefit tremendously from the opportunity to attend creative, educational, recreational and nurturing camps outside the city.
Grants are made to nonprofit organizations, schools and colleges for the purchase of books for their lending libraries and educational programs for children and adults to promote literacy and the love of books.